HOW TO MAKE 4 LOW CALORIE CHRISTMAS APPETIZERS
From quick and successful appetizers with friends, to mains, to desserts and midnight snacks, the holiday meal may be the biggest (and longest) of the entire year. Being surrounded by food 24/7 throughout the holiday season, there’s no question that you’ll be tempted to reach for anything and everything that you lay your eyes on. This is why, offering healthy appetizer recipes is like a breath of fresh air in this month of indulgence ! I’m thus here in collaboration with Migros, to help by providing you, 4 healthy christmas appetizers and party food ideas for the holidays that would be perfect if you are hosting a holiday party.
☆Rainbow falafels – Ingredient –
- Green falafel Ingredient: 1 ½ cup dry chickpeas (soaked overnight) / ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves / ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves / ½ cup fresh mint leaves / ½ cup scallions, sliced (white and light green parts only) / 2 tsp garlic, minced / 2 tsp kosher salt / 1 tsp ground cumin / 1 tsp ground coriander.
- Yellow (turmeric) falafel: 1 ½ cups garbanzo beans (soaked overnight in water) / 1 small bunch fresh parsley / 4 cloves garlic / 1 tsp salt / 2 tsp cumin / 1 tsp dried turmeric / ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper / pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pink (beet) falafel: 1 ½ cups garbanzo beans (soaked overnight in water) / 2 cups beets, chopped and microwaved for 8 min or steam till slightly cooked / 2 tsp paprika / 2 Tbsp cilantro finely chopped / 2 garlic clove finely chopped / 2-3 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour or chickpea flour
The night before you are going to make falafel, soak the dry chickpeas in a bowl with at least 3 inches of water covering them. When you are ready to start making the falafel, drain the chickpeas from the water and ensure they are very dry. Pat them dry with paper towel or dish towel to remove an excess water. To make the classic falafel: Place chickpeas, herbs, garlic and seasoning in a food process fitted with blade attachment. Pulse until they start to bind. To make the yellow falafel: Place chickpeas, parsley, garlic, spices and seasoning in a food process fitted with blade attachment. Pulse until they start to bind. To make the pink falafel: Place chickpeas, beets, cilantro, spices and seasoning in a food process fitted with blade attachment. Pulse until they start to bind. Allow falafel mixtures to sit in fridge 15 minutes. While falafel is sitting in fridge, heat vegetable oil in large pot or deep fryer on medium-high heat (around 350 degrees if using a thermometer). Form falafel into approximately tablespoon-sized balls. Balls should be roughly the same size so they cook evenly. Fry until golden all over, around 3-4 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. If desired, sprinkle lightly with salt while still hot and serve with pita bread or hummus (read the beet hummus recipe bellow).
☆Beet Hummus – Ingredient –
- 1 medium roasted beet, chopped / 2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas / 1 TBsp lime juice / 3 TBsp olive oil / 2 TBsp tahini / ½ tsp sea salt / ¼ tsp ground black pepper / 2 cloves garlic
I don’t know about you, but I never need an excuse to eat hummus – it’s one of those magical bean spreads that taste great on anything, be it a salad, a sandwich, with chips or veggies or even by itself. Plus, it’s a rich, creamy, velvet smooth hummus dip. The beets add a subtle mellow-ness to the flavor, and a shockingly bright color that would make this dip the instant star at any party! Anyway, now that you have all the ingredient with you, blend the beets and chickpeas together in a food processor until slightly combined, about 15 seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients in and blend until all the ingredients are incorporated and smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute or longer depending on your food processor. Taste and adjust any ingredients based on your taste.
☆Avocado toast with aglio olio e peperoncino sauce – Ingredient –
- sliced mini baguettes(as many as you want)(as many as you want) / ½ avocado / freshly squeeze lemon juice /Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste /1/4 cup aglio olio e peperoncino sauce from Migros
Toast the piece of bread until the bread is just golden brown. For the halved avocado, remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and cut thin slices flesh, add a squeeze of the fresh lemon juice, . Season with salt and pepper as needed. Lastly, slater the aglio olio e peperoncino sauce followed by the thin sliced avocados on top of your toasts.
☆Tomato Toast with mini mozzarella balls | with grated carrots and red pepper – Ingredient –
- sliced mini baguettes(as many as you want) / 3 cups diced tomatoes / 5 TBsp chopped fresh basil / 1 TBsp minced garlic / ¼ cup olive oil / pinch salt and pepper / mini mozzarella / grated carrots /½ red pepper